Mom deserves a special treat on her special day. I know that I for one would love if my boys made me this for mother’s day. However, I still do not trust them around the stove by themselves, but don’t let that stop you from sharing this blog post with your significant other as a hint!
• ½ cup unsalted butter
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons corn syrup
• 6 (1 inch thick) slices French bread
• 5 eggs
• 1 ½ cups half-and-half cream
• 1 teaspoon brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®)
• ¼ teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.