If a fight were ever to break out in our office, it would most likely be over cheez-its. You think I am kidding, but sadly I am not. I have a reasonable solution for this problem though. Everyone make your own cheez-its at home and keep them at your desk. They are loads healthier to boot.
• 8oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
• 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into small pieces
• 2 tablespoons shortening
• 1 teaspoon Kosher or Sea Salt
• 1 cup flour
• 2 tablespoons ice cold water
- Blend the cheese, butter, shortening and salt together on medium low speed in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer.
- Add the flour and mix on low to incorporate (the dough will be dry).
- Slowly add the water just until the dough comes together in a lump.
- Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour your work area and roll out the dough very thin (less than 1/8″).
- Use a pastry cutter to cut into 1″ squares and use a skewer or toothpick to put a hole in the center of each.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light brown at the edges.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool.